The UMF Liberal Studies program gives you the opportunity to pursue a general liberal arts education while also acquiring valuable career proficiency. Designed for maximum flexibility, it offers real-world skills and a broad-based liberal arts education designed to match the kinds of broad skill sets employers tell us they’re looking for in today’s college graduates.
The Liberal Studies program may be ideal if you’re a Transfer student or you’re returning to college after several years to complete your degree.
The Liberal Studies program also includes a required experiential learning component, in the form of either an internship or a capstone project, so you can earn credit for applying what you have studied to a real-world situation. It also includes a mandatory career readiness portfolio that demonstrates real-world professional skills. Advanced coursework is required in the form of a Minor, a Certificate or a set of courses you’ll select with your academic advisor.
Developing core skills essential in today’s workplace
In the Liberal Studies program you’ll get to choose from a broad selection of skills-based courses for your Core Requirements. In addition, you’ll select a specialization to focus on, based on your interests and future goals.
- A writing course beyond ENG 100
- An ethical reasoning course
- A course to develop communication skills
- A course to develop problem solving, application of knowledge in new contexts
- A course that includes working with others in a team
- A course to develop technology skills
- A course to develop creativity
- A course to develop analytic and logical or quantitative skills
- A course to develop critical reading skills