The University of Maine at Farmington is the only public institution in New England to offer an undergraduate degree in Rehabilitation Services, an applied human services degree aimed at helping people with at-risk conditions to live independently and function effectively in their living, learning and working environments. If you have a passion for working with people, this experiential-focused program will prepare you to make a difference in the lives of others.
The Rehabilitation Services curriculum is designed to prepare you to advocate with and for the needs of people with disabilities at both the individual and systems level.
Rehabilitation Services courses draw upon many methods, including interviewing, counseling, group leadership, goal analysis, functional assessment and systems change, to prepare you to work as effective members of interdisciplinary teams.
Our Rehabilitation philosophy and practice focuses on client autonomy, the strengths of individuals, families and communities, and the adaptation of environments to support full inclusion.
The program prides itself on small class sizes, approachable professors and hands-on learning through our highly selective field placements. Faculty members will work closely with you to ensure your career goals and ambitions are attained.
High Demand for Rehabilitation Professionals
- Throughout Maine and the rest of New England there is a significant need for bachelor-level trained Rehabilitation Services professionals.
- According to the Maine Center for Workforce Research and Information, community and social services have had a higher than average demand for new hires.
- Nationally, demand for Rehabilitation Services professionals is expected to grow across the country with the increase in the elderly population and the needs of other groups such as veterans, people with disabilities and individuals with substance abuse disorders.
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that employment of rehabilitation counselors is projected to grow faster than the average for all occupations through 2028.
See more about our Rehabilitation Services program in the words of our students, a recent graduate and our faculty.
“My time at UMF was filled with opportunities to grow as a student and as a professional. Looking back at the four years I spent at UMF I think about the support and encouragement my professors gave me on a regular basis. I felt the Rehabilitation Services program placed an emphasis on my future and career right from the very first class. There were endless opportunities to engage in the community throughout my studies and I believe it’s what helped me not only learn about the field of Vocational Rehabilitation but also to help me get my job.”
— Spencer Trenoweth
Spencer Trenoweth graduated from UMF’s Rehabilitation Services program in 2017. Since then he completed a Master’`s in Rehabilitation Counseling and now works as a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor in Maine Department of Labor’s Division of Vocational Rehabilitation. In his role he works with students to provide them with the needed supports to successfully transition out of school and into the workforce or into further training and education.
Internships — providing you hands-on, real-world experience
Practical, real-world experience is built into the UMF Rehabilitation Services program with a required practicum and internship. We help place you into a rewarding and oftentimes a college career defining internship. This outside-the-classroom field work and internship will let you experience first-hand what’s it’s like to work in the field. It’ll also provide you with valuable professional contacts.
Here’s a short list of where our Rehabilitation Services students have recently interned:
- Pine Tree Camp, Rome, Maine – Unit Leader
- Margaret Murphy Center for Children, Lewiston, Maine – Educational Technician
- Spurwink, Portland, Maine – Adult Case Manager
- Camphill Village Kimberton Hills, Kimberton, Pennsylvania – Intentional Community Worker
- Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation, Portland, Maine – Rehabilitation Counselor
- Capital Clubhouse, Augusta, Maine – Unit Manager
- Riverwood Group, LLC in Champaign, Illinois – Addictions Counselor
- Wiggle Worms Pediatric Therapy, York, Maine – Clinical Intern
- Tree Street Youth, Lewiston, Maine – Youth Program Assistant
- Alaska Crossings, Wrangell, Alaska – Field Guide
- Green Chimneys School, Brewster, New York – Residential Counselor
- Becket House, Belgrade, Maine – Intensive Treatment Support Worker
- Struve-U, Portland, Maine – various positions
Recent graduates have taken positions as mental health caseworkers for children and adults, substance abuse counselors, adoption counselors, crisis counselors, residential administrators for individuals with developmental disabilities, and vocational rehabilitation counselors.
More than half of our graduates attend graduate school and hold positions as social workers, outpatient and inpatient mental health counselors, occupational therapists and supervisors of child protective services.
If you have a passion for working with people, this hands-on degree will prepare you to make a difference in the lives of others.
Also: a fully online degree completion program in Rehabilitation Services
In response to Maine’s critical workforce need for fully-prepared rehabilitation professionals, Farmington offers a fully online degree completion program to help adult learners and community college students earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Rehabilitation Services.
The Degree Completion program is designed for those who have earned general / basic education credits (English, Math, Science, etc.) or who hold an Associate’s Degree. It’s particularly valuable for those who may have had to postpone their degree completion due to employment, military mobility, family obligations, disability, geographic constraints or other reasons.
In addition, this degree-completion program also qualifies for out-of-state residents of Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont and Canada for a New England Regional Student Program tuition discount of nearly $5,000 a year.Request Info About Our Degree Completion Program in Rehab Services
Additional UMF Rehabilitation Services-related Offerings
- UMF / USM Counseling 3+2 – B.S. in Rehabilitation Services to M.S.
- UMF Addiction Rehabilitation Certificate
Want to save nearly $6,000 per year in tuition? This program qualifies for a New England Regional Student tuition discount for residents of Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont. See details hereGot questions? Ask a professor in this program
Office of Admissions
University of Maine at Farmington
246 Main Street
Farmington, Maine USA 04938-1994
TYY (via Maine Relay Service) dial 711