The University of Maine at Farmington is the only public institution in New England to offer an undergraduate degree in Rehabilitation Services, an applied human services degree aimed at helping people with at-risk conditions to live independently and function effectively in their living, learning and working environments. If you have a passion for working with people, this experiential-focused program will prepare you to make a difference in the lives of others.
The Rehabilitation Services curriculum is designed to prepare you to advocate with and for the needs of people with disabilities at both the individual and systems level.
Rehabilitation Services courses draw upon many methods, including interviewing, counseling, group leadership, goal analysis, functional assessment and systems change, to prepare you to work as effective members of interdisciplinary teams.
Our Rehabilitation philosophy and practice focuses on client autonomy, the strengths of individuals, families and communities, and the adaptation of environments to support full inclusion.
The program prides itself on small class sizes, approachable professors and hands-on learning through our highly selective field placements. Faculty members will work closely with you to ensure your career goals and ambitions are attained.
High Demand for Rehabilitation Professionals
- Throughout Maine and the rest of New England there is a significant need for bachelor-level trained Rehabilitation Services professionals.
- According to the Maine Center for Workforce Research and Information, community and social services have had a higher than average demand for new hires.
- Nationally, demand for Rehabilitation Services professionals is expected to grow across the country with the increase in the elderly population and the needs of other groups such as veterans, people with disabilities and individuals with substance abuse disorders.
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that employment of rehabilitation counselors is projected to grow faster than the average for all occupations through 2028.
Hands-on, real-world experience
Practical, real-world experience is built into the UMF Rehabilitation Services program with a required practicum and internship. Your outside-the-classroom field work and internship will let you experience first-hand what’s it’s like to work in the field. It’ll also provide you with valuable professional contacts.
Here’s a short list of where our Rehabilitation Services students have recently interned:
- Pine Tree Camp, Rome, Maine – Unit Leader
- Margaret Murphy Center for Children, Lewiston, Maine – Educational Technician
- Spurwink, Portland, Maine – Adult Case Manager
- Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation, Portland, Maine – Rehabilitation counselor
- Capital Clubhouse, Augusta, Maine – Unit Manager
- Riverwood Group, LLC in Champaign, Illinois – Addictions Counselor
Recent graduates have taken positions as mental health caseworkers for children and adults, substance abuse counselors, adoption counselors, crisis counselors, residential administrators for individuals with developmental disabilities, and vocational rehabilitation counselors.
More than half of our graduates attend graduate school and hold positions as social workers, outpatient and inpatient mental health counselors, occupational therapists and supervisors of child protective services.
If you have a passion for working with people, this hands-on degree will prepare you to make a difference in the lives of others.
NEW: a fully online Degree Completion program in Rehabilitation Services
In response to Maine’s critical workforce need for fully-prepared rehabilitation professionals, Farmington will begin offering a fully online degree completion program to help adult learners and community college students earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Rehabilitation Services. It will be available beginning in Fall 2020, pending New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) approval.
The new Degree Completion program is designed for those who have earned general / basic education credits (English, Math, Science, etc.) or who hold an Associate’s Degree. It’s particularly valuable for those who may have had to postpone their degree completion due to employment, military mobility, family obligations, disability, geographic constraints or other reasons.
In addition, this degree-completion program also qualifies for out-of-state residents of Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont and Canada for a New England Regional Student Program tuition discount of nearly $5,000 a year.Request Info About Our Degree Completion Program in Rehab Services
Additional UMF Rehabilitation Services-related Offerings
- UMF / USM Counseling 3+2 – B.S. in Rehabilitation Services to M.S.
- UMF Addiction Rehabilitation Certificate