Where Can I Study?
Direct Exchange Programs
UMF has exchange agreements with a number of foreign universities. When participating in a Direct Exchange program, UMF students pay tuition and fees at UMF and living expenses to the host university abroad. Most of our direct exchange programs are at universities where the medium of instruction is English……meaning you do not need proficiency in the host country’s foreign language to study!
Click below for program information
Click below to visit a partner university website
George Mitchell Peace Scholarship to Ireland
This scholarship was established in honor of Senator Mitchell’s role in brokering the Peace Accord in Northern Ireland. UMF students can apply to study at University College Cork in Ireland.
Click below for program information
Click below to visit the university website
Should one of our direct exchange programs not meet your academic, financial, or calendar needs, UMF also offers the opportunity to participate in exciting semester-long, study/intern abroad opportunities in a wide range of countries through affiliations with study abroad program providers. Many providers offer programs in foreign speaking countries, where the medium of instruction is English……meaning you do not need proficiency in the host country’s foreign language to study!
Click below for provider information
School for International Training (SIT Study Abroad)
Study Abroad Eligibility
How to Get Started…
Request an Appointment
- Learn about the various study away options
- Receive information on programs and locations that interest you
- Learn how to choose a program that best meets your need
- Learn about UMF’s study away approval process, step-by-step
Early planning is the key. Begin the process well in advance, working with your UMF academic advisor and the Office of Global Education, to determine the best time for you to study away.
How to Apply
Once you have decided on a program location and term, you can begin the application process, which is almost completely online, with the exception of a few select forms.
The following required documents will need to be prepared in advance and uploaded as pdf files in order to submit the online application.
- Essay – please explain the connection between your studies abroad and your academic major, including why you have selected this specific program, what linguistic and/or cultural components affected your decision, and how you expect the program will add to your education, personal growth and future career plans. Your uploaded document must include your name on the first page.
- Unofficial Transcript – download student copy from your Mainestreet Student Services Center.
- Copy of valid passport (information page) or copy of receipt from submitted passport application.
- Study-Intern-Teach Abroad/Away Budget Estimate-Financial Resources Form – request form from Office of Global Education.
- Study Away Form – download from MyCampus, UMF Tools, Forms and Documents.
The following are additional submissions/processes required to complete your application.
- UMF Study/Intern/Teach Away Conduct Review Form – Submit the form found at https://forms.gle/11nxkhwP8Nnn3G3v9.
- UMF Study/Intern Abroad/Away Faculty Reference Form – Provide this form link to your faculty of choice for an academic reference: https://forms.gle/Thk3R99beGmTbZ946.
Please note that UMF Study/Intern Abroad has a rolling admissions policy. Students are strongly encouraged to apply as early as possible as some programs, particularly direct exchange programs, fill prior to the deadlines. Students must receive UMF Study/Intern Abroad Approval prior to applying online to Provider programs:
> February 20: Summer, Fall and Academic Year Programs
> October 1: Spring Programs
Note: After submission of UMF application materials and receipt of UMF approval, further application submissions are required for host schools.Apply Now – Request application password from Office of Global Education
Visit our Pre-Departure Page for important information and required processes. Deadlines for submissions are noted on the page.
Office of Experiential & Global Education
University of Maine at Farmington
106 Fusion Space
117 South Street
Farmington, Maine 04938