About Upward Bound
The Upward Bound Program at the University of Maine at Farmington serves 139 high school students from 14 target high schools in west-central Maine. UMF UB actively identifies, recruits, and selects motivated high school students who would be the first in their families to attend college, and seeks to help students develop the skills necessary for success in education beyond high school. During the school year, services are offered at the high schools and on the UMF campus; students are able to participate in college trips, reunions, and much more!
UMF Upward Bound provides participants:
- Academic tutoring in high school or early college courses;
- Advice and assistance in secondary and postsecondary course selection;
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance examinations;
- Information on the full range of Federal student financial aid programs and resources for locating public and private scholarships;
- Assistance in completing financial aid applications, including the Free Application for Federal Student Aid;
- Assistance and guidance in the college search process and completing college applications;
- Services designed to enhance the financial and economic literacy of students and families, including financial planning for postsecondary education;
- College visits, fun social and cultural opportunities; and
- Earned stipends throughout the year.
The Summer Program
An intensive, six-week residential program takes place at UMF during the summer. During this portion of the program, students live in the dorms, eat in the dining hall, and take classes based on their grade level.
An exciting and robust summer program that includes:
- Instruction in mathematics through pre-calculus, lab science, world language, composition and literature;
- Information, activities, and instruction designed to acquaint participants with the range of career options available;
- Work-study positions where participants are exposed to careers requiring a postsecondary degree;
- Community service opportunities;
- A wide range of cultural and social opportunities to help participants develop a sense of belonging on a college campus.
- Exciting trips and activities
The best part? The program is completely free to all students who participate! Interested students can call the Upward Bound office or contact their guidance counselor for details.
Learn more about our program from the introductory video, below!
Interested in applying? Complete an eligibility form here.
Director of TRIO Programs, Lynn Ploof-Davis