Nestled at the foothills of the mountains in western Maine, the University of Maine at Farmington is the affordable alternative to a private liberal arts school.
Established in 1864 as Maine’s first public institution of higher education, the University of Maine at Farmington (UMF) is Maine’s public liberal arts college, offering quality programs in teacher education, human services and arts and sciences.
With enrollment at around 1,900 full-time students, UMF is about the same size as many of New England’s most selective private colleges and offers many of the same advantages, yet at a very attractive price — providing a tremendous college education value in a spectacular natural setting.
The University of Maine at Farmington is a founding member of The Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges (COPLAC) an exclusive national group of public colleges and universities committed to providing superior liberal arts and sciences education.
The University of Maine at Farmington, Maine’s nationally recognized public liberal arts college, known for its rigorous academics and outstanding faculty.
- Named a “Best Bang for the Buck” college by Washington Monthly magazine in 2013, 2014.
- Rated a “Top Green College” by Princeton Review Guide to Green Colleges 2012-2014.
- Named one of America’s “Best Colleges” by U.S.News & World Report 16 times since 1998.
- Named a U.S.News best college value “Great School – Great Price” in 2012, 2013.
- A traditional New England college campus located in the heart of world class skiing and snowboarding, hiking and mountain biking, kayaking and rafting.
- An affordable, high-quality, residential, liberal arts college. (Just $18,187 per year for Maine residents. As low as $22,379 per year for non-Maine residents — that’s tuition, fees, room & board.)
- Challenging, distinguished and innovative programs in the arts and sciences, teacher preparation, and other pre-professional fields.
- A small, friendly campus where students are the center of the universe.
- A place where caring professors work side by side with students — in research, creative endeavors, in the classroom and outside.
- A college where four of the past six Maine “Teacher of the Year” recipients earned their bachelor’s degree.
- An institution that offers unparalleled research opportunities — often at the level and depth found at graduate school.
- A campus of 1,900 bright, creative, independent-minded students who thrive on challenges.
- A school that offers pre-professional tracks in medicine, law, and business; as well outstanding preparation for your acceptance to graduate school.
- A college where students work hard but also enjoy kicking back and having fun. Lots of fun.
- A warm-hearted, accepting community where it’s OK to be who you are.