The University of Maine at Farmington is more than a school. It’s a place where you go to learn more than what’s in the textbook. It’s where you go to learn what you want to do with your life.
To learn how to carry yourself. To gain confidence in yourself. To learn how to think, not what to think. To explore new things about the world and about yourself. To learn what your passion is. Farmington — Maine’s public liberal arts college.
We seek highly-motivated, exceptionally-curious, independent-thinking students who thrive on challenges and who want to become leaders.
Peacefully nestled in the spectacular lakes & mountains region of western Maine, UMF is Maine’s public liberal arts college, offering quality programs in teacher education, human services and arts and sciences.
The campus is in historic downtown Farmington, just a short walk away from coffee shops, funky stores, restaurants, banks, bookstores, a multi-screen movie theater and a whole lot more. Our perfect location combines the active outdoor lifestyle with the arts & smarts of a small college town.
With enrollment at around 1,800 full-time students, UMF is about the same size as many of New England’s most selective private colleges and offers many of the same advantages, yet at a very affordable price — providing a tremendous college value in a spectacular natural setting.
Established in 1864 as Maine’s first public institution of higher education, the University of Maine at Farmington is a founding member of The Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges (COPLAC) an exclusive national group of public colleges and universities committed to providing superior liberal arts and sciences education.
Who is the University of Maine at Farmington?
- An outdoorsy college located in the heart of world class skiing and snowboarding, hiking and mountain biking, kayaking and rafting.
- An affordable, high-quality, residential, liberal arts college. Just $18,792 per year for Maine residents. As low as $23,944 per year for non-Maine residents — that’s tuition, fees, room & board.
- A school that offers challenging and innovative programs in the arts and sciences, teacher preparation, and other pre-professional fields.
- A small, friendly campus where students are the center of the universe.
- A place where caring professors work side by side with students — in research, creative endeavors, in the classroom and outside.
- An institution that offers unparalleled research opportunities — often at the level and depth found at graduate school.
- A campus of 1,800 bright, creative, independent-minded students who thrive on challenges.
- A college where students work hard but also enjoy kicking back and having fun — lots of fun.
- A quirky yet warm-hearted, accepting community where it’s OK to be you.
- We may not be for everyone but we just might be the perfect place for you.