Farmington Education grads get hired.
According to a 2020 survey of UMF Education graduates over the past three years, 83% of respondents indicated being employed in the field of education, with 85% hired within a year of graduation — and 73% of them employed in just four months after graduating.
Overall, 94.3% of respondents indicated they were Very Satisfied or Satisfied with their teacher education preparation at UMF.
See some recent Early Childhood Education graduates, now teachers or education supervisors, describe why they chose Farmington.
UMF Education graduates work in schools across Maine, throughout the U.S., and around the world.
- Carrabassett Valley
- Kents Hill
- Mars Hill
- Mt. Desert Island
- Norway / Paris
- Presque Isle
- South Berwick
- South Portland
- And more
And in schools in:
- New Hampshire
- New York
- Rhode Island
The University of Maine at Farmington is considered one of the premier teacher education programs in New England.
At our founding in 1864, the University of Maine at Farmington (then called Western State Normal School) took an innovative approach to teacher education, integrating a strong liberal arts foundation into teacher training. Our founders believed that only those with a strong background in the liberal arts could effectively teach the arts and sciences. Obvious as that may seem, it was not the rule among teacher education programs of the time.
More than 150 years later, the University of Maine at Farmington continues to be recognized for its innovation and excellence in teacher preparation.
- UMF is one of only three nationally accredited teacher education programs in Maine
- UMF was the first in Maine to receive national CAEP accreditation (formerly NCATE)
- UMF received full Maine State Board of Education accreditation
- UMF full-time faculty supervise you in your off-campus practicum and student-teaching field experiences
The Best Teachers Start at Farmington
- UMF Education graduates have been named Maine Teacher of the Year
- UMF Education graduates have been named Maine Elementary School Principal of the Year
- UMF Education graduates have received the U.S. Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching
- UMF Education graduates received the prestigious Milken Family Foundation Educator Award
- UMF Education graduates have been named Maine History Teacher of the Year by the Gilder Lehman Institute of America
- UMF Education graduate received a National Science Foundation (NSF) Award
- UMF Education graduate is an Adult Space Camp graduate and earned certification at the Google Teacher Academy in London
- UMF Education graduate received the prestigious Apple Design Award