For good reason, the University of Maine at Farmington is considered one of New England’s premier schools for preparing outstanding teachers. In fact, it was founded more than 150 years ago as Maine’s FIRST public institution of higher education, a school dedicated to preparing future teachers.
Bright From the Start: The Best Educators Begin at Farmington.
- Maine’s 2015 Teacher of the Year, Jennifer Dorman ’93, is a UMF Education graduate.
- Three of the four 2015 Maine Teacher of the Year finalists were UMF Education graduates.
- More than half of the past 8 Maine Teacher of the Year recipients were UMF Education graduates.
- UMF Education graduates received the U.S. Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching.
- UMF Education graduates received the prestigious Milken Family Foundation Educator Award.
- UMF Education graduates have been named Maine History Teacher of the Year by the Gilder Lehman Institute of America.
- A UMF Education graduate is an Adult Space Camp graduate and earned certification at the Google Teacher Academy in London.
- A UMF Education graduate received a National Science Foundation (NSF) award.
- A UMF Education graduate received the prestigious 2014 Apple Design Award at Apple’s annual Worldwide Developer Conference.
- UMF is one of only three nationally accredited teacher education programs in Maine.
- UMF was featured in Newsweek’s Great Teaching Schools 2014.
UMF Education graduates work in schools across Maine, throughout the U.S., and around the world.
A recent survey found 17 percent of all teachers in Maine schools hold a UMF degree.
And in schools in: