Farmington Faces: Adelle Belanger was looking for a career to help people

Adelle Belanger from Cornville was looking for a career to help people and make a tangible difference in their lives. Belanger recently graduated from the University of Maine at Farmington in the high demand field of Rehabilitation and Human Services.  Soon they will be traveling to New Zealand to serve an internship in the field of restorative justice, a program whose principles and practices create a different approach to dealing with crime and its impacts.

Adelle Belanger“I’ve loved being at Farmington and now I’m so proud to be applying what I’ve learned to help others,” said Belanger.

Belanger, who was already working in the field as a behavioral professional transferred to Farmington as a sophomore. Their first connection with Farmington happened when speaking with Karen Barrett, professor of Rehabilitation and Human Services and right from the start they felt on the right path.

“I was very nervous reaching out to a new college, but my experience was awesome. Everything was new for me, but my advisor understood that. Farmington offered me the perfect combination of holding my hand when I needed it and trusting me to be an adult when I was ready,” said Belanger. “I’ve loved being at Farmington and now I’m so proud to be applying what I’ve learned to help others.”

In addition to majoring in Rehabilitation and Human Services, Belanger has a minor in Creative Writing and hopes to write a blog on their experiences in New Zealand.

Share on