The University of Maine at Farmington (UMF) is a safe, welcoming campus community that knows you’re not just like everyone else — and we admire you for it. UMF is a very affordable way to attend a high quality, nationally recognized U.S. college ideally located in the spectacular lakes & mountains region of western Maine, an area famous for its hiking, skiing, snowboarding, camping, canoeing and kayaking.
International students are admitted to UMF for the Fall Term, which usually begins late August / September. We encourage you to apply well ahead of the application deadline of March 1.
Please note that all required supporting documents must be submitted by the March 1 application deadline.
- Application Information
- Estimated Annual Expenses
- Financial Assistance, Scholarships, Campus Employment
- On-Campus Housing – Guaranteed
- University of Maine at Farmington CEEB Code
- Required Immunizations
- Student Health Insurance
- Public Transportation (plane, train, bus)
Application Information for International Students
Please read all the application information carefully. Your application will be reviewed for fall enrollment once all the materials listed below are received.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Complete an Application and submit the Declaration of Finances Form with supporting financial documents
UMF also takes applications through the Common Application and the University of Maine System. International students presently attending a college or university may apply as a transfer student to the University of Maine Farmington.
- The Common App – for Fall 2022
- Request Information or an Application
- Declaration of Finances Form* (pdf)
* You must show your ability to finance your education. The University of Maine at Farmington requires that the Declaration of Finances Form and supporting financial documents be mailed to the Office of Admissions.
2. Submit your official Transcripts/educational records
If transcripts are not in English, please submit your transcripts to the World Educational Services (WES). WES will evaluate your credits from non-U.S. institutions and provide a certified English translation. Visit World Educational Services for more information and fee information.
Note: If you are seeking to transfer to the University of Maine at Farmington from another university, you should provide us information from that university relating to credits and individual course content.
3. If you are currently attending (or if you last attended) a U.S. university or college, please submit the Transfer Student Recommendation Form — completed and signed by your international student advisor at the college located in the United States. Also submit a copy of your most recent I-20 or DS-2019 and visa.
Write an essay (this may be submitted on a separate sheet of paper).
5. English Language Requirements
Students whose first language is not English must submit official test scores directly to the University of Maine at Farmington Office of Admission from one of the following:
- TOEFL: Test of English as a Foreign Language (including the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition) – minimum score of 79 (iBT) or 550 (paper-based test). Click here for official TOEFL test score submission instructions. UMF’s institution code is 3506.
- IELTS: International English Language Testing System (including the IELTS Indicator online test) – minimum score of 6.5. Click here for information on submitting your official test IELTS score.
- DET: Duolingo English Test – minimum score of 105. Click here for information on submitting your official DET score.
Mail the above items to:
Application Processing Center
University of Maine System
P.O. Box 412
Bangor, Maine USA 04402-0412
Your application will be reviewed only if all above listed information has been received by the deadline.
Estimated Annual Expenses
(U.S. Dollars – Academic year 2022-2023)
|International Students||Canadian Students|
|Tuition||$21,760||$9,216 per year|
|Campus Room & Board||$10,764||$10,764|
|Mandatory Student Health Insurance||$2,663||$2,663|
|Health & Wellness Fee||$50||$50|
|Books and Supplies||$900||$900|
|TOTAL per year||$40,307||$27,763|
UMF International Student Scholarship
The University of Maine at Farmington awards a limited number of merit-based scholarships to outstanding new, incoming first-year undergraduate international students.
The award is valued at a total of $36,000 over four years (eight semesters) and awarded each year in the amount of $9,000 per year ($4,500 per semester).
Criteria used in awarding the scholarship include, but are not limited to, academic interests and ability, special talents (excluding athletic ability)*, geographic origin and ethnicity.
The scholarship is renewable for up to a total of four years (eight semesters) of study at the University of Maine at Farmington, provided renewal requirements (including maintaining F-1 Visa status and residency on campus) are met. International students are responsible for covering additional expenses and fees using their own resources.
* As a member of NCAA Division III, UMF is not permitted to consider athletic skill in awarding any kind of financial assistance.
International students are eligible to apply for on-campus employment and may work up to 20 hours per week. The University of Maine at Farmington cannot, however, guarantee the availability of on-campus jobs.
The state of Maine requires all college students born after 1956 to furnish proof of immunization against measles, rubella, tetanus, and diphtheria. Proof of immunization must be on file with the UMF Student Health Clinic prior to finalization of registration.
UMF also has a COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement for all students.
Office of Experiential and Global Education
University of Maine at Farmington
117 South Street
Farmington ME 04938 USA
Student Health Insurance
The University is federally mandated to have health insurance for J-1 students. As a best practice among higher education institutions, the University also includes F-1 students in the mandatory insurance. Therefore, the University will still provide a mandatory health insurance policy for international (J-1 and F-1) students.
On-Campus Housing is guaranteed
It is guaranteed, provided you return your Housing Application and License by the required deadlines.
Although there is no public transportation to and from Farmington, the University offers transportation to and from the Portland International Jetport (PWM) as well as the Portland, Maine train station and bus stations — linking you to Boston, Massachusetts and its Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) — at the beginning of the Fall and end of the Spring semesters.
There are also a Concord Coach Lines bus stations in nearby Augusta, Maine and Auburn, Maine. Both Concord Coach bus lines go to Portland, Maine, where you can connect to the Amtrak / Downeaster Train Terminal — leading to Boston’s South Station and Boston Logan International Airport (BOS).
Concord Coach Line also offers limited direct bus service to Boston’s South Station and Boston Logan International Airport (BOS).
- Concord Coach Lines bus stations in Augusta, Maine and Auburn, Maine are each about 45 minutes from campus
- Portland Jetport (PWM), Portland Amtrak / Downeaster train terminal, and Concord Coach Lines bus stations are about 1.5 hours from campus
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) is about 3.5 hours from campus
Transportation to and from the Concord Coach Line terminals in Augusta, Maine and Auburn, Maine is available during official closures of the campus residence halls.
Locally, we also offer regular local shuttle service each Tuesday and Wednesday night to the Farmington Walmart and Hannaford Supermarket. In addition, Western Maine Transportation Service’s Green Line shuttle bus drops off and picks up right in front of UMF’s Olsen Student Center.
Please note: Aside from what is mentioned above, there is no public transportation to and from Farmington. The University cannot assume responsibility for transportation issues.
We welcome your questions and look forward to hearing from you.
Office of Admissions
University of Maine at Farmington
246 Main Street
Farmington, Maine USA 04938-1994
TYY (via Maine Relay Service) dial 711
If a visit to campus is in your plans, please let us know; we will be happy to make the arrangements for you. Please let us know two weeks in advance of when you wish to visit.