Get Your Outdoors On
If you’re into skiing, snowboarding and the outdoors, the University of Maine at Farmington is the perfect place to spend your college years.
Clip on your student discount lift ticket, toss your twin-tips on the roof rack and head up to Sugarloaf, Sunday River or Saddleback for the day. Or head over to Farmington’s own ski area, Titcomb Mountain, which has daytime and under-the-lights nighttime Alpine skiing, snowboarding, Nordic skiing, mountain biking and trail running trails. It’s just 9 minutes from campus. Heck, from the windows of Scott Hall-West residence hall you can see the skiers over at Titcomb.
And thanks to a generous donation from Sunday River and Sugarloaf, all full-time UMF students get a FREE season pass to Titcomb Mountain. Never skied before? You also get FREE learn-to-ski-and-ride lessons at Titcomb, taught by your fellow UMF students in our Alpine Operations Certificate program or our Outdoor Recreation Business Administration major (ORBA).
Mainely Outdoors adventures
And to take advantage of our perfect location, we offer a backpack full of epic outdoor adventures through our Mainely Outdoors adventure program.
It offers students a range of exciting outdoor opportunities: trips and excursions, equipment and gear sign-out / rentals, clinics and lessons, certification opportunities and much more.
Hike Bigelow Mountain or nearby Mount Blue State Park. Mountain bike miles of trails just off campus. Paddle nearby Clearwater Lake and Wilson Lake. Fly-fish the Farmington’s Sandy River, which runs alongside our Athletics fields. Camp out at the top of nearby Tumbledown Mountain and look up at so many stars you can practically reach out and touch them.
Ready to compete?
If Snow Sports competition is in your blood, we compete in the Reynolds Division — named for former UMF Ski Coach and Maine Skiing Hall of Famer, Tom “Coach” Reynolds.
We’re a top competitor in men’s & women’s
- Alpine Skiing: Giant Slalom and Slalom
- Freeskiing: Rail, Slopestyle and Skiercross
- Nordic Skiing
- Snowboarding: Rail, Slopestyle and Snowboardcross
Our legacy as an intercollegiate skiing powerhouse goes back years. UMF competes (and podiums) against schools like Colby, Bates, Bowdoin, UMaine, Wellesley, Colby-Sawyer; and our skiers and riders regularly qualify for the USCSA and USSA Regionals and Nationals.
Titcomb Mountain and Sugarloaf are our home venues and we have a base home in the beautiful Bill & Joan Alfond Competition Center. Our teams travel across New England and beyond to compete.
See More about our Snow Sports and other Athletics offerings or visit our UMF Athletics site for additional details.
If you think you’ve got what it takes to compete for UMF, let’s get the conversation started right here. Meet Our Coaches. Or go directly to our Recruit Me page.
Who is the University of Maine at Farmington?
- A Nationally Ranked public university, recognized for its academic excellence, educational value and inclusion.
- An Outdoorsy College located in the heart of world class skiing and snowboarding, hiking and mountain biking, kayaking and rafting.
- An Affordable, high-quality, residential, liberal arts college. Just $19,851 per year for Maine residents. As low as $25,835 per year for non-Maine residents — that’s tuition, fees, room & board.
- A school that offers challenging and innovative Academic Programs in the arts and sciences, teacher preparation, and other pre-professional fields.
- A small, friendly campus where Students are the center of the universe.
- A place where caring Professors work side by side with students — in research, creative endeavors, in the classroom and outside.
- An institution that offers unparalleled research opportunities — often at the level and depth found at graduate school.
- A campus of 1,800 bright, creative, independent-minded students who thrive on challenges.
- A college where students work hard but also enjoy kicking back and having Fun — lots of fun.
- A quirky yet warm-hearted, accepting community where it’s OK to be you.
We may not be for everyone but we just might be the perfect place for you.
High Quality, Nationally Ranked Academics — at an Affordable Price
The University of Maine at Farmington is Maine’s nationally recognized public liberal arts college, known for its rigorous academics, outstanding faculty and friendly, close-knit community. We offer academic programs in a range of areas: Business, Counseling & Health, Science, STEM, Teacher Education, Pre-Professional programs and much more.
Bringing the Classroom to the Outdoors … and the Outdoors to the Classroom
Partnering with Sugarloaf, Sunday River, Titcomb Mt., The Maine Tourism Assoc., Ski Maine and others, UMF developed an exciting Outdoor Recreation Business Administration major (ORBA) and a new Alpine Operations Certificate, which is open to students in any UMF major.
Both programs get you outside for real-world, hands-on experience in the four-season outdoor rec and skiing industry. And both include on-mountain and required in-the-field internships.
But it’s not enough to simply get you outside. We also use our industry connections and vast alumni network to bring experts into your classrooms. Ski area leaders, tourism professionals, outdoor entrepreneurs, manufacturing and retailer reps — folks from places, businesses and organizations you know well and others you may not be familiar with.
You get to hear them share their wisdom and tell your how the business really works. You can meet them, ask questions and make incredible industry contacts.
Sound good so far?
Explore our website to learn more about us or check out our Virtual Viewbook to see and hear what some of our students have to say.
Better yet, come Visit Us in person or via a Live Zoom Session and see if Farmington is the right fit for you. We offer personalized on-campus visits year-round.
Of course, you can also Apply now for free. Or make a change for the better and Transfer to UMF.
We look forward to meeting you.
Office of Admissions
University of Maine at Farmington
246 Main Street
Farmington, Maine USA 04938-1994
TYY (via Maine Relay Service) dial 711