I-94 Arrival/Departure Record

You can retrieve your I-94 admission number/record (which is proof of legal visitor status) as well as retrieve a limited travel history of your U.S. arrivals and departures.

To retrieve and print a copy of your I-94, visit the I-94 official website

SEVIS Transfers

A student in F-1 or J-1 status can request to have their SEVIS record transferred to another institution if they meet all eligibility requirements for a SEVIS transfer.

The SEVIS transfer request can be submitted while a student is still enrolled in their program, but the SEVIS transfer isn’t effective until after completion of the program or of the current semester.

SEVIS Transfer Eligibility and Deadlines

  • Must be in lawful F-1 or J-1 status.
  • F-1 students must submit the transfer-out request at their current institution before their 60 day grace period ends if completing a program. If not completing a program and the I-20 is set to expire at the end of the current semester, a transfer-out request must be submitted before I-20 expires. Must begin a new program within 5 months of completing the current program.
  • J-1 students must request transfer-out at their current institution before their 30 day grace period ends if completing a program and the DS-2019 is valid for at least 30 days after the completion date. If the DS-2019 expires at the end of the current semester, the request to transfer out must be submitted before the DS-2019 expires. The start date at the new institution must be the day immediately following the last day at the prior institution. Gaps between program sponsorship (e.g., for a “vacation”) are not allowed.

SEVIS Transfer and Travel

If you plan to travel outside the United States after your SEVIS transfer is effective, you will need to have your new I-20 or DS-2019 in hand in order to return to the US.

SEVIS Transfer-In Procedures:

If you are transferring to the University of Maine at Farmington from another U.S. school, you must follow the procedures outlined below.  Immigration transfers are possible when the time between the end of your current program and the beginning of your new program at UMF does not exceed 5 months.  You can begin the SEVIS Transfer-in process once you receive your admission letter from the University of Maine at Farmington.

  1. Notify the school you currently attend that you wish to transfer to the University of Maine at Farmington.  Ask the International Student Advisor there to enter into SEVIS your intent to transfer to the University of Maine at Farmington.
  2. Ask your current international student advisor to complete the Transfer-IN Form at the end of your current program, and submit it according to instructions on the form.
  3. Submit a copy of your UMF Acceptance letter and current I-20/DS-2019 with the Transfer-In Form.
    Once we receive all the required documents and review them, we will issue the Transfer I-20 or DS-2019, if all is in order.
  4.  Report to the Office of Global Education for the Mandatory International Orientation Program. Upon completion of the program, we will complete the transfer process and issue a Transfer Complete I-20 or DS-2019.   Failure to follow these instructions may result in a violation of your immigration status.

SEVIS Transfer-Out Procedures:

Once you have received an admission letter from the institution you wish to attend, and you are certain you will attend that institution, you can submit the completed “Transfer-OUT Form” and a copy of your admission letter.  You can drop them off at the Office of Global Education, Fusion Space Room 105, 117 South Street, or email both documents to

If all is in order, your request to transfer out will be processed in SEVIS.  Once the transfer release date occurs, the new institution will be able to issue your new I-20 or DS-2019.  Be sure to contact your new institution to give them instructions on how to handle your new I-20 or DS-2019.

Transfer Verification Form
As part of the SEVIS Transfer, your new institution may request that we complete a “Transfer Verification Form”, verifying you are in good standing.  This form can be dropped off at the Office of Global Education, 117 South Street Fusion Space Room 106, or it can be emailed to