Open to students in any major, the University of Maine at Farmington Creative Writing Certificate offers you the opportunity to work in an intensive format with faculty who are practicing writers in workshop-style classes to discover and develop your writing strengths in the genres of poetry, fiction, and non-fiction.
Small classes, an emphasis on individual conferencing, and the development of a writing portfolio allow you to see yourself as an artist as you refine refine our writing in multiple possible genres.You may opt for a one-semester program or a more advanced one-year program.
In this Certificate proghram you’ll develop a portfolio of writings which you can use to present samples of your work for a variety of careers or for applying to graduate school.
Requirements for the One Semester Program (16 credits):
- Two 200-level Creative Writing courses
- One 200-level and one 300-level Creative Writing course
- Plus one contemporary literature course
- And one course in editing or publishing
Requirements for the One Year Program – the Advanced Certificate (32 credits):
- Three 200-level Creative Writing courses
- Two Advanced Creative Writing courses
- One contemporary literature course
- One course in editing or publishing
- One open elective course
Got questions? Ask a professor in this program
Office of Admissions
University of Maine at Farmington
246 Main Street
Farmington, Maine USA 04938-1994
TYY (via Maine Relay Service) dial 711