The University of Maine at Farmington Early Childhood Education major is a high quality program with extensive experiences in children’s settings. It has earned a national reputation for preparing highly qualified teachers.
Our Early Childhood Education program is well-respected in part because our students are required to practice in early childhood settings — putting classroom theory into observable hands-on practice.
Our program is based on National Association for the Education of Young Children standards for teacher preparation and is CAEP accredited.
Our Education students describe their senior year Student Teaching assignment as the most meaningful experience of their UMF career. It’s when they’re teamed with a mentor school teacher (often a UMF alumnus) and they get to put into practice in a school classroom what they’ve learned in their UMF college classes.See More About Student Teaching
“I graduated from UMF in 2021. During my time at Farmington, I worked as a reading tutor at Mallett Elementary School and a Teacher Assistant for Professor Clawson. My senior year at UMF I took on teaching remote kindergarten for a local school. Like many teachers, this was my first experience teaching fully online. Although there were some challenges and many hurdles, I felt prepared to take on each day and new challenges because of the overwhelming support and knowledge I gained at UMF.
Working with Professor Clawson when UMF first went remote helped me learn how to navigate an online classroom presence which ultimately later helped me with getting a teaching job.
This fall, I’m teaching my first in-person class and I could not be more excited.”
— Crystal Macomber
Early Childhood Education 2021
You can choose one of three Early Childhood Education options:
- Early Education and Care Option (non-certification) prepares you to work with children birth to age 5 and their families. You select a specialization of your choosing.
- Birth to 5 Education Option (certification) leads to Maine Teacher Certification allowing you to teach in a variety of early childhood settings, including pre-Kindergarten classrooms in public schools.
- K-3 Education Option (certification) leads to Maine Teacher Certification allowing you to teach in Early Childhood settings including Kindergarten through 3rd grade classrooms in public schools.
Graduates of our Early Childhood Education program are eligible for jobs in a variety of settings, including childcare, Head Start, pre-Kindergarten, community and recreational programs and grades K-3 in public and private schools.
The University of Maine at Farmington is considered one of the premier teacher education programs in New England.
At our founding in 1864, the University of Maine at Farmington (then called Western State Normal School) took an innovative approach to teacher education, integrating a strong liberal arts foundation into teacher training. Our founders believed that only those with a strong background in the liberal arts could effectively teach the arts and sciences. Obvious as that may seem, it was not the rule among teacher education programs of the time.
More than 150 years later, the University of Maine at Farmington continues to be recognized for its innovation and excellence in teacher preparation.
- UMF is one of only three nationally accredited teacher education programs in Maine
- UMF was the first in Maine to receive national CAEP accreditation (formerly NCATE)
- UMF received full Maine State Board of Education accreditation
- UMF full-time faculty supervise you in your off-campus practicum and student-teaching field experiences
The UMF Center for Assistive Technology is the only public or private university-based assistive technology lending and demonstration center in Maine.
Here, you’ll have full access to specialized on-campus education-focused resources such as UMF’s Children’s Programs and our Spenciner Curriculum Materials Center, which includes assistive technology resources, children’s literature, and early childhood curricula materials.
Assistive Technology is any device or product that makes it easier for someone with a disability to live more independently.
Bright From the Start: The Best Teachers Started at Farmington.
- 2019 National Education Assoc. Foundation Horace Mann Award for Teaching Excellence recipient, Dan Ryder, is a UMF Education graduate
- 2017 Maine Elementary Principal of the Year, Jennifer McGee ’86, is a UMF Education graduate
- 2017 Maine Teacher of the Year, Tammy Ranger ’99, is a UMF Education graduate
- 2015 Maine Teacher of the Year, Jennifer Dorman ’93, is a UMF Education graduate
- 2015 Maine Elementary School Principal of the Year, Tracy Williams ’82, is a UMF Education graduate
- 2014 Maine Elementary School Principal of the Year, Melanie Ellsworth ’84, is a UMF Education graduate
- Since 2006 seven UMF Education graduates have been named Maine Teacher of the Year
- UMF Education graduates have received the U.S. Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching
- UMF Education graduates received the prestigious Milken Family Foundation Educator Award
- UMF Education graduates have been named Maine History Teacher of the Year by the Gilder Lehman Institute of America
- A UMF Education graduate is an Adult Space Camp graduate and earned certification at the Google Teacher Academy in London
- A UMF Education graduate received a National Science Foundation (NSF) Award
- A UMF Education graduate received the prestigious Apple Design Award
- UMF was featured as a Newsweek.com Great Teaching School
Farmington Education grads get hired.
According to a 2020 survey of UMF Education graduates over the past three years, 83% of respondents indicated being employed in the field of education, with 85% hired within a year of graduation and 73% employed within four months of graduation.
Overall, 94.3% of respondents indicated they were Very Satisfied or Satisfied with their teacher education preparation at UMF.See Where Our Grads Teach
Got questions? Ask a professor in this program
Office of Admissions
University of Maine at Farmington
246 Main Street
Farmington, Maine USA 04938-1994
TYY (via Maine Relay Service) dial 711