A collaboration between the University of Maine at Farmington and the University of Southern Maine, the Counseling 3+2 — Psychology program provides you with an accelerated pathway to a career in the counseling field.
Interested in a career in Counseling? Want to fast-track your college degree(s) with a focused program of study? Have the motivation, compassion and maturity to jump-start your career path in counseling? If so, the University of Maine at Farmington Counseling 3+2 — Psychology program may be perfect for you.
In this program, you earn a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology at the University of Maine at Farmington (UMF) followed by a Master of Science in Counseling at the University of Southern Maine (USM) — all in five years instead of six.
- 3 yrs – B.A. in Psychology at the University of Maine at Farmington
- 2 yrs – M.S. in Counseling at the University of Southern Maine
This allows you to graduate ahead of time while preparing you for a professional career where you can help meet Maine’s growing mental health needs.
Counselors help individuals, families, and groups with mental health challenges, such as depression and PTSD; drug and alcohol abuse; life transitions, such as adjusting to college; and other difficult life situations.
What does the accelerated pathway to a Master’s Degree in Counseling involve?
At the University of Maine at Farmington
You will work to meet all requirements for a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology at Farmington in three years, gaining practical skills through counseling courses, an interactive, discussion-based seminar each semester, mentorship, experience in the field and collaboration with peers.
As part of your Psychology degree at Farmington, you will fulfill the requirements for the Mental Health Rehabilitation Technician Community (MHRT/C) certification, allowing you to gain practical work experience while pursuing your Master’s degree in Counseling at the University of Southern Maine.
In your third year at UMF, a streamlined grad school application process will pave the way to help you gain early acceptance to the University of Southern Maine’s Master of Science in Counseling program.*
At the University of Southern Maine
At the University of Southern Maine you can choose a track in:
- Master of Science in Counseling (MSC) – Concentration in Clinical Mental Health
- Master of Science in Counseling (MSC) – Concentration in School
Mental Health Counseling prepares you for licensure as a counselor (LCPC or LPC) while School Counseling prepares you for certification in School Counseling with the option of pursuing additional coursework to earn licensure (many students choose to earn this after they graduate while they are working in the field).
* Note: Participation in this 3 + 2 Program does not guarantee admission to the M.S. program at USM. Also, you are not required to pursue graduate school at USM.
- Completion of an undergrad degree in three years and the opportunity to enter the workforce one year earlier, saving you money and time
- A program of study focused on counseling where you begin to develop the professional skills needed to be an effective counselor
- Close collaboration and mentoring from Farmington faculty and upper-level UMF students
- Participation in an interactive seminar — allowing you to develop counseling and leadership skills while preparing you for similar courses in graduate school
- You’ll work closely with fellow students and faculty mentors
- Students will be selected based on their potential for completing an accelerated degree and continuing on to a Master’s degree program in Counseling
- Specifically, applicants will be chosen based on their academic strengths, previous experience relevant to counseling and their interest in the 3 + 2 program
You can still benefit from all aspects of the 3 + 2 program. By majoring in Psychology at Farmington, you will have the opportunities in Counseling course offerings, the MHRT/C courses sequence, mentoring from UMF faculty to help prepare for graduate school and a career in counseling, and a heavier course load to accelerate your degree if you choose.