With a goal of promoting academic success right from the start, the University of Maine at Farmington requires all First-Year students to reside on campus. This requirement applies to those who have earned less than 24 hours of college credit after graduating high school and are enrolled in 12 or more hours at UMF.
Simply put, the University of Maine at Farmington has high academic standards and it is in everyone’s interest to do everything we can to help you succeed here.
Your success is important to us.
We have found that students who live on campus — especially in their first year — are more likely to succeed at UMF. They interact more with professors outside of class, develop better study and time management skills, attend more campus events, seek campus employment opportunities and participate more in student clubs and organizations.
To encourage this, each of our residence halls has Community Assistants — specially trained UMF students who host a variety of special programs designed to introduce new students to a variety of campus resources, encourage them to interact with faculty and staff, help them develop leadership skills and valuable study habits. They also do everything they can really get you involved in the UMF community, helping you find opportunities for personal, academic and professional growth.
First Year Campus Residency Requirement
First-Year undergraduate students enrolled as full-time students, as defined by the University of Maine at Farmington, are required to live in campus residence halls.
- Students first enrolling in the Summer are required to reside on campus during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Students first enrolling in the Fall are required to reside on campus during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Students first enrolling in the Spring are required to reside on campus during the Spring semester.
Waiver from the First Year Campus Residency Requirement
We understand there may be instances where a waiver is reasonable. Students seeking a waiver for Fall or Spring may complete and return the Request for Waiver Form (googleform).
A student applying for a waiver of the residency requirement must meet the following conditions:
- Fall under one or more of the exemption categories listed on the waiver.
- Have an active Housing Application on file for the academic year in which the waiver is being sought. This can be found on the new student pre-arrival checklist on myCampus.
- File the Request for Waiver Form (googleform).
- Provide the information and documentation to support the waiver request.
After your completed Request for Waiver Form is received, you will get a confirmation email from our staff. If you do not receive this email, but believe you have submitted a Request for Waiver Form, please contact UMF Student Housing, below.
For more information on our First-Year campus housing requirement, please contact us.