The questions and answers listed below are just some of the frequent questions we receive regarding residence life.

If you need more information or haven’t quite found what you’re looking for, don’t hesitate to contact the Student Life Office at 207-778-7348 or UMF Housing at or 207-778-7488.

Who in the halls can help me with problems or questions when they arise?

How many residence halls are on campus and what are they like?

Are there specialty and themed communities for students with particular interests?

What is there to do in the residence halls and on-campus?

How does dining on campus work?

What amenities are there in the halls?

What should I bring for my room when I come to campus?

Are pets allowed in the residence halls?

What size mattresses are provided in the rooms?

Can I change rooms if I need to, and if so, how do I go about doing that?

How do I make sure I have a residence hall room on campus for next fall?

How do I pick a roommate?

How do I request and receive reasonable residence hall accommodations if I am a qualified student with a disability?

When do the residence halls open and close?

How can I work for residence life as a Community Assistant?

Does UMF provide a shuttle service for the Farmington area and other destinations?

Who in the halls can help me with problems or questions when they arise? Back to top

The CA Staff – The Community Assistant are full-time students who are employed by the Department of Student Life. The staff is available to answer questions, be a referral person, conduct meetings, uphold University policies and procedures, and in general, foster a unique sense of community within the residence halls. When discussing personal matters, the staff practice confidentiality – this means that they do not share personal information with other students. The staff are also there to assist in organizing events that bring residents together, such as floor dinners, movie nights, ice cream socials and much more! The staff are in a position to help you build a community based on individual responsibility and respect for others.

Area Directors– are professional staff members who reside in campus housing, and are responsible for the day-to-day management of the residence halls. Their role is to be a presence within the residential halls and uphold University policy. Each Area Director has the experience and skill to create living-learning environments that challenge and encourage development of the “whole” student, foster a sense of community in the residence halls, and empower residents to take responsibility for their actions and decisions.

The Hall Cooperative – Each residence hall has a Hall Cooperative. Residents elect an executive board. Hall Cooperatives work with hall staff and residents to plan educational, recreational, social, and cultural programs for the residents. Hall Cooperatives assist with the dispersing of information to students in the hall, evaluate the needs of hall residents, and are influential in giving input to bring about changes in the residence halls.

How many residence halls are on campus and what are they like? Back to top

There are seven separate residence halls at UMF:

The Scott Hall Complex consists of three different residential wings. Scott North is a co-ed building offering single, double, triple, and quadruple rooms. Scott South is an all-female residential wing on the first two floors. On the third floor of Scott South is the Diversity and Education Floor. Scott West, the newest wing in the complex, is a traditional co-ed building. Each wing in the Scott Complex features single-user bathrooms.

Lockwood Hall is connected to Dakin Hall through a breezeway. Lockwood is an cooperative style living community for Juniors and Seniors.

Purington Hall is the oldest residence hall on campus and has undergone recent renovations. It now offers single-user bathrooms and is home to the education-themed community.

Mallett Hall is one of our oldest residence halls. Traditional Co-ed by Neighbor (1st floor), Scholars themed community (2nd floor), Leadership Living Learning Community (3rd floor), and Service Impact Living Learning Community (3rd floor)

Stone Hall (also known as the Carolyn Stone Wellness Hall) is designed for students who wish to live a wellness lifestyle. Experience the Outdoors Living Learning Community is on the 1st floor, Wellness Community on the 2nd floor, and Substance-Free Living themed community on the 3rd floor.

Frances Allen Black Hall (also known as FAB) is a suite-style building that opened in January 2006. It was built using LEED standards of environmentally-friendly practices, and is therefore known as our “green” residence hall. FAB is an independent living community for students in good judicial standing. Each suite has a small common area and a bathroom with shower. Laundry, study, and lounge areas are located on each floor. There is a main lounge and kitchen for student use, as well as bicycle storage accessible from the outside. Frances Allen Black Hall is typically reserved for upper-class students.

Are there specialty and themed communities for students with particular interests? Back to top

Yes. As of Fall 2024, our specialty and themed communities include:

  • Scott South 1st & 2nd Floor: All-Female Community
  • Scott South 3rd Floor: Lavender Community
  • Scott West: Traditional co-ed by Neighbor, Single Rooms
  • Lockwood: Cooperative Living
  • FAB: Independent Living
  • Purington: Education-Themed Community
  • Dakin 1st: Outdoor Enthusiasts LLC
  • Dakin 2nd: Sports and Athletic Community
  • Stone: Pet-Friendly

Click here for more information on our themed communities.

What is there to do in the residence halls and on-campus? Back to top

The simple answer: plenty! Community Assistants (CAs) and the Hall Cooperative in each residence hall are required to host a number of events and programs for residential students per semester. Most of these programs occur right in the common area of each residence hall. These programs are based on the needs and desires of each student community, and can be as diverse as the residents in the hall. Past programs have included: ice cream socials, movie nights, faculty- and staff-led discussions and activities, study nights, and themed programs to celebrate holidays and special events, just to name a few!

The Center for Student Involvement (CSI) also hosts events and programs throughout campus and in their performance venue, the Landing. There is usually something happening on campus 7 nights per week, whether hosted by the Landing, student clubs and organizations, or residence hall staff.

The greater Farmington area also offers a lot of diverse services and activities to UMF students. Downtown Farmington boasts a number of vibrant shops, restaurants, and other establishments that cater to the UMF community. Whether you are up for a bowl of gelato, dinner and a movie, or a quality second-hand book, the local businesses in Farmington can deliver (and very affordably, we might add).

How does dining on campus work? Back to top

UMF features two dining facilities for the University community: the South Dining Hall and the Beaver Lodge. All residential students are required to purchase a meal plan with the exception of students living in Lockwood Hall. All first year students are required to have Meal Plan A – the unlimited meal plan. Meal plans incorporate a number of different combinations of all-you-care-to-eat meals and “points” (also known as Declining Balance Dollars, or DBDs) to meet different student needs. For up-to-date current meal plan options, please review the UMF Dining website listed below. The number of meals per week is equal to the number of times a student can enter the dining hall per week (with a maximum of three times per day). Once you enter the dining hall, you can eat as much as you want. “Points,” which are equivalent to dollars, can be used to purchase food or items in the Beaver Lodge, Mantor Cafe, and in the dining hall to pay for meals outside your meal plan (if you bring guests, for example). To choose the most appropriate meal plan, consider your current eating habits. Meal plans may be changed during the first two weeks of every semester, and automatically renew between the fall and spring semesters, unless otherwise notified. For more information on meal plans, operating hours and locations, or employment opportunities, visit the UMF Dining website.

What amenities are there in the halls? Back to top

All double rooms in the residence halls are furnished with: 2 beds, 2 study desks, 2 chairs, 2 bureaus, 2 closets or wardrobes, overhead lighting, 2 data ports, and 1 cable TV hook-up. 44 basic cable channels are provided at no additional cost, and a larger cable package is provided in the main lounge of each hall.

All halls also feature small kitchenettes that are accessible to all students and most have microwave ovens, stoves, and refrigerators. There is a main lounge located in each hall with an assortment of chairs and couches, along with TVs and study tables. Some common areas have additional amenities, such as pool tables or a piano.

Each residence hall comes equipped with card-operated washers and dryers. These cards act much like debit cards, with money deducted from the card with each load of laundry. Each new student is given a laundry card with a small amount of money preloaded during Orientation, and laundry cards can be purchased or refilled at a machine outside the dining hall in the Olsen Student Center. It should be noted that the card machine only accepts payment in cash.

What should I bring for my room when I come to campus? Back to top

That’s a great question! The answer depends on many factors, including your proximity to home, your needs and habits, and a conversation with your roommate about who will bring what for the residence hall room. Remember, it is very important to make contact with your roommate prior to your campus arrival to arrange who is bringing what.

Although every student will have a different set of needs, student life staff and current students collaborated on a list of items that are commonly needed while living in UMF residence halls. The list, which can be accessed below, is not completely conclusive, but it should help you get an understanding of the most common items that are helpful to have while living on campus at UMF.

UMF “What to Bring” List from Current Students

Are pets allowed in the residence halls? Back to top

You bet! Stone Hall is our new Pet-Friendly residence hall on campus! You are welcome to bring a:

  • Dog (40 pounds or less)
  • Cat
  • Hamster
  • Rabbit
  • Gerbil
  • Turtle
  • Guinea Pig
  • Hermit crab

Our other residence halls welcome fish. We have a limit of one fish container per resident, with a maximum capacity of ten gallons per container.

What size mattresses are provided in the rooms? Back to top

Twin XL mattresses are provided in all residence hall rooms except for those rooms in FAB, which have Twin mattresses.

Can I change rooms if I need to, and if so, how do I go about doing that? Back to top

During the first two weeks of every semester, there is a room freeze period where students are not permitted to change rooms, unless under extreme circumstances. This period is specifically designed to allow students an opportunity to learn how to deal with living with a new person and work out their differences in a constructive manner. Following the first two weeks, the department offers an open room change period for one week. During this open room change period, students may make room changes for any reason by meeting with the Housing staff. After this open room change period, the hope is that students are able to resolve conflicts with roommates or other room concerns without changing rooms. If concerns still arise, please reach out to Housing staff.

It is a fact that roommates sometimes face challenges with one another, as it is not an easy endeavor to try and live with a person previously unknown to you. Outside of the open room change period, residence life staff work with roommate conflicts on a case-by-case basis. If residential students are having concerns with their roommate, they are advised to seek out the Community Assistant (CA) in their community. The CA will help the roommates devise a roommate agreement to alleviate the concerns that are present. This agreement will be reviewed after a specified period of time (typically a week), to see if all parties have held up their end of the agreement and the problems have been properly addressed. If, after this time has passed and the agreement has not resolved the issues, the students may be asked to meet with the Area Director (AD) responsible for their residential area. The AD will discuss with the students their concerns and help them to devise a viable solution. After reviewing the situation and discussing it with the students, the AD may approve a room change for one of the students and refer her/him to Housing staff, who will coordinate their change in room assignment.

How do I make sure I have a residence hall room on campus for next fall? Back to top

If you need housing, and have not yet completed a housing application, please call our housing office at 207-778-7488.

If you are a new incoming student, be sure to pay your enrollment deposit by the due date specified in your original admission/acceptance packet. Payment of your enrollment deposit in a timely fashion, completion of the online housing application, and completion of the Room and Board License will secure on-campus housing for the upcoming academic year. Information on completing the housing application online will be sent to you by UMF after May 1. Keep in mind that the Room and Board License is for the academic year (two semesters). The Student Life Office will notify students of room and roommate assignments in July. Students who apply late in the process are sometimes placed in alternative housing areas, such as triple rooms (three students in a standard double room).

If you are a returning student, all current students will be provided with housing application information and dates through on-campus advertisement and publicity. If you are planning to keep your current room, please participate in either the Same Room/Same Roommate or Same Room/Different Roommate housing process. To secure a different space, participate in the housing process that coincides with your current class standing (i.e., Senior, Junior, Sophomore, First-Year). After selecting a room, you need to make sure to sign a Room and Board License for the academic year. Keep in mind that the Room and Board License is effective for a complete academic year (two semesters). For current returning student housing process dates, check the ‘Housing’ page on myCampus under ‘Student Services’.

If you have questions about the housing process, please contact Housing Staff at (207) 778-7488 or call the Student Life Office at (207) 778-7348, and we would be glad to help you.

How do I pick a roommate? Back to top

For new students, the information provided on the housing application is used to assign roommate pairs. Based upon living habits, interests, and academic and social needs reported by the student, residents are placed in room assignments with other students who share similar characteristics. It is for these reasons that it is imperative new students fill out their own housing application, and should not have a parent do this for them. It is important that students are as complete and honest as they can be on the housing application to ensure that they are matched with a roommate with whom they are able to live harmoniously.

If a new student wishes to be placed with another incoming or current resident student, each student should list one another on their housing application as a roommate. More information on how to do this will be included in the housing information packet mailed to incoming students in early May.

For current and returning students, they may list other current students as roommates in the same manner on their housing application. If no roommate is chosen, roommate pairs will be assigned based on interests and habits reported on the housing application.

How do I request and receive reasonable residence hall accommodations if I am a qualified student with a disability? Back to top

In compliance with federal and state regulations, reasonable accommodations are provided to qualified students with disabilities. Students seeking an accommodation must contact Patrick Kelley, Director of the Learning Access Center (207-778-7295 or When a need is not apparent, students will be asked to provide medical documentation to support their request.

When do the residence halls open and close? Back to top

Halls open and close at specific times, depending on when breaks are scheduled in the academic calendar (e.g., Thanksgiving, spring break, winter break). Hall openings and closings are advertised heavily by hall staff well in advance, but you can access the residence life calendar here:

Residence Life Calendar

How can I work for residence life as a Community Assistant? Back to top

Community Assistants (CAs) are current undergraduate UMF students hired by residence life to facilitate community development in the residence halls, provide educational and social programming, and educate students about and hold them accountable to hall policies and procedures. Each semester, the department seeks to fill a limited number of these positions in halls all over campus. When these selection processes occur every semester, the department attempts to publicize the position through various means (e.g., flyers, social networking, and information sessions). To be considered for the position, current students must complete an application packet, submit a cover letter and resume, participate in a “group process” and individual interview, and “shadow” a current CA on-campus. The selection process, which is time-consuming, allows the department an opportunity to get to know the relative strengths of each candidate for the purpose of placing them in a community that “fits” with their working style. Please note that students do not need work-study funds to be hired as a Community Assistant, and this availability of funding does not affect the department’s decision regarding who is hired for the position. If you have questions about the process, or would just like more information about becoming a CA, please contact your CA or Assistant Director, who would be glad to talk with you about it.

Does UMF provide a shuttle service for the Farmington area and other destinations? Back to top

YES! UMF Department of Student Life offers trips to Hannaford/Walmart every Tuesday and Wednesday from 6pm – 9pm and weekend trips to the Concord Bus Terminal in Augusta (drop-offs – Friday Afternoon and Pick-Ups Sunday Afternoons). Students have to reserve a seat for the Concord Trips w/ Judy Peary-Adams and there is a refundable $20 holding charge for the seat, which the students get back upon arrival to their seat. Students need to go to the on-line Concord Bus Schedule (on their website) for scheduling and ticketing information. For more information, please contact Student Life at 207-778-7348.