Wellness and life long health habits are established in childhood. Physical activity, nutrition, access to healthcare, avoiding unhealthy behaviors are all key to maximizing the quantity and quality of life for oneself and the greater community. Well children learn better. Comprehensive health education, physical education and activity K-12 provide learning experiences that improve student wellness, academic success, and an overall better quality of life. Teaching and learning by doing is what School Health Education with a concentration in Physical Education offers. For a full description, visit the UMF catalog (2023-2024).

How do I explore School Health Education at UMF?

There are many ways to explore a major. You could:

  • Review the webpage for this major.
  • Talk to faculty members in the major. Ask about their career path.
  • Choose a class of interest and contact the faculty member to ask about going to one of the classes.
  • Talk with students in the major for insights into the courses you will take and professors who will instruct you.
  • Enroll in one of the following courses: EDU 102 Experiences of Schooling or HEA 123 Contemporary Health Issues.
  • Get involved by joining a club or volunteer with an organization.
  • Volunteer or intern with an organization that is aligned with this major.
  • Talk with a Career Counselor.

What careers can I get with this major?

Data comes from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and other sources. Median Salaries for positions in Maine typically fall below those of other New England states.

What jobs have UMF graduates acquired?

The degree with certification will prepare you for employment in a variety of school-based physical education settings.

Are there related majors and minors at UMF?

UMF offers minors in Physical Fitness, Health Promotion and Wellness, Child and Adolescent Health, Coaching, Nutrition, and others. Related majors include Community Health Education and Community Health Education with a Teaching Concentration. Read more about majors and minors.

How do I declare this major?

Contact Dr. Katie Callahan, katie.callahan@maine.edu, 207-778-7098 to discuss your interests. To apply to the major, complete a change of major form (available in Merrill Center or any academic office) and bring it to Kimberly Ladd (kimberly.ladd@maine.edu, Education Center 324).

Back to list of majors at UMF