We understand that it can be tough to support a student who is undecided or indecisive about selecting a college major. Here are some tips from our advisors:
- Don’t pressure your student to declare a major if they are unsure. Programs for undeclared students provide a supportive academic environment where students can complete requirements while learning about their interests.
- Try to help your student define interests or goals for college.
- Encourage your student to meet with the academic advisor, the program coordinator, or a career counselor because these meetings can help determine interests.
- Suggest participation in clubs, organizations, or intramural sports in areas of interests.
- Encourage the use of personality tests and other forms of self-assessment from our Exploration and Self-Assessment page.
- Summer jobs can provide opportunities to explore careers.
- Reassure your student that this is a process and it takes time. When undeclared students select a major, they do so with a lot of knowledge about their choice and the satisfaction that they have made a good choice.
252 Main Street, Farmington ME 04938
207-778-7040 or TDD/TYY 207-778-7275