The Special Education program will prepare you to teach students with disabilities at the elementary and secondary levels, and upon graduation you’ll be eligible for teacher certification in Maine (and other states). Through our intensive, hands-on program, you’ll learn a variety of skills necessary to support the success of students with disabilities in the least restrictive environment. For a full description, visit the UMF catalog (2023-2024).

View this this YouTube video about being a Special Education Teacher

How do I explore Special Education at UMF?

There are many ways to explore a major. You could:

  • Review the webpage for this major.
  • Talk to faculty members in the major. Ask about their career path.
  • Choose a class of interest and contact the faculty member to ask about going to one of the classes.
  • Talk with students in the major for insights into the courses you will take and professors who will instruct you.
  • Enroll in one of the following courses: SED 100 Introduction to Special Education or PSY 225 Child & Adolescent Development.
  • Get involved by joining a club or volunteer with an organization.
  • Volunteer or intern with an organization that is aligned with this major.
  • Talk with a Career Counselor.

What careers can I get with this major?

Data comes from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and other sources. Median Salaries for positions in Maine typically fall below those of other New England states.

What jobs have UMF graduates acquired?

Special Education Teachers at every grade level, Educational Technician, School Psychologist Specialist, Resource Room Teacher, ESL Teacher, and others.

Can I minor in Special Education? Are there related majors at UMF?

Yes, UMF has minors in Special Education, Early Childhood Special Education, and others. Majors related to Special Education include Early Childhood Special Education, Elementary Education, Middle/Secondary Education, School Health Education, and Early Childhood Education. Read more about majors and minors.

How to I declare this major?

Contact Dr. Patty Williams, Chair, or 207-778-7109 or any of the faculty in Special Education. To apply to the major, contact Kristin Hickey in the Education Center (room 219) to request information. The application will include an essay describing your interest in becoming a teacher and a change of major form (available in Merrill Center or any academic office). Applicants must have a GPA of 2.75 or higher to be considered.

Back to list of majors at UMF