This program’s approach to the arts incorporates our belief in the importance of educating critical thinkers, inspired makers, and engaged citizens. Learning, experimenting and engaging ideas is a collaborative adventure taken on by students and faculty alike. Students also gain a thorough understanding of the contemporary and historical ideas surrounding studio practice as well as the role art plays in the local and global community. For a full description, visit the UMF catalog (2022-2023).
How do I explore Visual Art at UMF?
There are many ways to explore a major. You could:
- Review the webpage for this major.
- Talk to faculty members in the major. Ask about their career path.
- Choose a class of interest and contact the faculty member to ask about going to one of the classes.
- Talk with students in the major for insights into the courses you will take and professors who will instruct you.
- Enroll in any ART or ARH course.
- Get involved by joining a club or volunteer with an organization.
- Volunteer or intern with an organization that is aligned with this major.
- Talk with a Career Counselor.
What careers can I get with this major?
What jobs have UMF graduates acquired?
Senior Project Designer at Esty / NYC, Community Arts Director, Graphic Designer, Web Developer at Amazon, Assistant Director of SALT Institute, Freelance Artist, Technical Writer, Set Designer for Stop Motion Animation Studio, Audio Visual Technician, Web Specialist, Art Teacher, Photographer, Video Studio Teaching Assistant at California Institute of the Arts, Assistant Librarian in the Art & Music Library at Colby College, Marketing Coordinator, Digital Broadband Ambassador/Graphic Designer at Samsung, and others.
Can I minor in Art? Are there related majors at UMF?
Yes, UMF has minors in Visual Art, Art History, Film Studies, Music, Theatre, Video Game Studies, and more. Majors related to Art include Web Media & Design and Performing Arts with a concentration in Arts Administration, Music or Theater. Read more about majors and minors.
How to I declare this major?
Contact Dawn Nye, firstname.lastname@example.org, to discuss your interests. Complete a change of major form available in Merrill Center or any academic department.