In this program, students learn to work with both individuals and groups across a wide range of ages, limiting conditions and disabilities. Students may follow their individual interests by specializing in areas such as psychosocial rehabilitation, therapeutic recreation, career services, and addiction rehabilitation. Real-world practical experience is built into the program with a required 120-hour third-year practicum and a 450-hour internship in the fourth year. Faculty work closely with students to insure a coordinated plan that matches their career goals, interests and talents. Students move on to careers in a variety of settings, counseling, social work, human services, mental health, community support services, employment services, family services, and to a wide variety of graduate programs.  For a full description, visit the UMF catalog (2023-2024).

How do I explore Rehabilitation & Human Services at UMF?

There are many ways to explore a major. You could:

  • Review the webpage for this major.
  • Talk to faculty members in the major. Ask about their career path.
  • Choose a class of interest and contact the faculty member to ask about going to one of the classes.
  • Talk with students in the major for insights into the courses you will take and professors who will instruct you.
  • Enroll in one of the following courses: REH 110 Introduction to Disability Services or REH 120 Introduction to Social Services.
  • Get involved by joining a club or volunteer with an organization.
  • Volunteer or intern with an organization that is aligned with this major.
  • Talk with a Career Counselor.

What careers can I get with this major?

Data comes from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and other sources. Median Salaries for positions in Maine typically fall below those of other New England states.

What jobs have UMF graduates acquired?

Children’s Case Manager, Child Protection Worker, Licensed Social Worker, Counselor, Guidance Counselor, Occupational Therapist, Substance Abuse Counselor, Addiction Counselor, Program Coordinator for an Adaptive Sports Company, Abused Women’s Advocate, International School Counselor, Vice President Client Services, Executive Director of Coastal Counties Workforce, Community Support Worker, Physical Therapy Aide, Crisis Worker, Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist, Victim/Witness Advocate for the Knox County District Attorney’s Office, Director of Admissions at Edgewood Rehab & Living Center, Enhanced Police Intervention Collaboration Advocate with Family Crisis Services, Vice President of Agency Services with Good Shepard Food Bank, Practice Manager/Corporate Compliance Officer, Director of Outpatient Services at HealthReach, Senior Occupational Therapist, JMG Specialist, EMT, Training & Development Coordinator at Nutri System, Director of Women’s Programs, Primary-Chemical Dependency Counselor, Certified Orientation and Mobility Instructor at the State of Maine Division for the Blind & Visually Impaired, and others.

Can I minor in Rehabilitation & Human Services? Are there related majors at UMF?

Yes, UMF has minors in Rehabilitation, Psychology, Health Promotion and Wellness, Health and Medicine, and many other choices. Majors related to Rehabilitation include Psychology and Community Health Education. UMF also offers a Substance Abuse Rehabilitation Technician Certificate. Read more about majors and minors.

UMF offers accelerated 3 plus 2 programs, including a Psychology Counseling program, a Rehabilitation Services Counseling program, and a Social Work program. Students complete a Bachelor’s Degree at UMF in 3 years followed by a Master’s Degree at USM in 2 years. A different application process is required. For more information on these new degree programs, please contact Dr .Nicole Achey at

How to I declare this major?

Contact Dr. Karen Barrett, Education Center,, 207-778-7111 or Dr. Nicole Achey, Education Center,, 207-778-7268 to discuss your interests. To apply to the major, complete a change of major form (available in Merrill Center or any academic office).

Back to the list of majors at UMF