As a student using veteran educational benefits please review the checklist below. Checklist for New or Returning Student Veterans

  1. Have you applied for Veteran benefits? If not, go to  – Click on “Apply for Educational Benefits” under the Education Section. Continue with the following steps if you have completed the online portion.
  2. If you are a Transfer Student receiving veteran benefits you will need to submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA Form 22-1995).
  3. If you are a dependent or spouse of a Veteran or service member you will need to submit a Dependent’s Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA Form 22-5495)
  4. If you are a dependent or spouse of a Veteran or service member and are also eligible for the Maine Veterans Dependents Educational Benefit contact to apply.  For more information contact (207) 430-6035 or email mainebvs@maine.govIf you receive this benefit it is mandatory that you apply for federal financial aid (
  5. Submit a copy of your DD-214 for credit evaluation.

       After Acceptance to UMF:

  1. Submit your COE/NOBE to Sue Enman, UMF Veteran Certifying Official, UMF Merrill Center, 224 Main Street, Farmington Maine 04938.
  2. Submit the 22-1995 or 22-5495 (Change Place of Training Form), if appropriate, to Sue Enman, UMF VA Certifying Official, 224 Main Street, Farmington ME 04938.
  3. Register for classes with your advisor and submit a UMF Veteran Certification Request Form. This form is available on our website and should be completed as soon as you have finalized your classes for the term. NOTE: This form needs to be submitted each and every semester.
  4. IMPORTANT (For Ch. 30, 1606, & 1607) at the end of every month you must log onto WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) to let the VA know you are still attending the University of Maine at Farmington.  Go to the GI Bill website and click on “Verify Attendance”.
  5. If you have any changes to your COE, Class Schedule, or academic standing you MUST notify the Certifying Official immediately.

*Failure to follow these steps may result in debt to the Department of Veterans Affairs and/or delay of payments

If you have further questions or concerns please contact Sue Enman, UMF VA Certifying Official (207) 778-7243 or

ArmyIgnitED ARMY TUITION ASSISTANCE – For Active Army Guard and Reserve Soldiers

Go Army Tuition Assistance will pay up to $250 per credit hour for a yearly maximum of $4,500.

To get started, visit the ArmyIgnitEd website and create an account.  Be sure to receive approval from an Educational Service Officer (ESO) or counselor within the military service prior to enrolling.

MAINE ARMY GUARD TUITION ASSISTANCE – For members of Maine National Guard

Maine Army Guard Tuition Assistance covers the cost of tuition only, no fees at the University of Maine System.  Please visit the Maine Army Guard website for more information.  To apply for benefits, complete the Request for Maine State Tuition Assistance and submit it by fax or e-mail to the contact information listed on the form.

For questions on this program, contact SFC Bradley Merrill at 207-430-5922, or

Contact Us

If you have questions,  please contact us. We look forward to helping you.

Merrill Center Student Services
University of Maine at Farmington
224 Main Street
Merrill Hall
Farmington, Maine 04938
tel  207-778-7100
fax  207-778-7555
TDD/TTY  207 778-7244